Nature of the Amaranthites
The Loch Armere Estate
Loch Armere Estate
Very few visit Loch Armere anymore. Its remote location in the Scottish Highlands prevents most from venturing into the area. But during the mid 1800s, a large estate was built on the Loch's shores. The manor and surrounding grounds were constructed at the behest of the Von Guellum family. They were minor, expatriate nobles from Austria who had lost all of their native land holdings. The Loch Armere estate remained in their possession until 1915.
Nestled within a shallow valley, and shielded from view by the mountainous nature of the surrounding land, a low stone wall that once encircled the Loch is usually the first feature that one notices upon arrival. Between the deteriorating wall and the Loch itself are a series of stone megaliths that we call the Wards of Armere. Each intact stone measures almost nine feet tall and three wide. On these Wards are faint impressions that the harsh weather has all but eroded entirely. They are all that remain of the runes that were carved into them by Amaranthites sometime during the Roman occupation of Great Britain.
In 1915, Duke Heinrich Von Guellum's wife invited a group of seemingly unrelated individuals from around the world to the Armere estate. The events that transpired there are unknown, but shortly thereafter, the manor house and part of the servant's quarters were burnt to their foundations. Both Duke Von Guellum, and the people who were staying at the house, disappeared shortly after the fire. Because of the anti-German sentiments that W.W.I caused in Great Britain, Duchess Von Guellum soon returned to Austria. To this day, no record of her whereabouts has been uncovered.
In 1942, the Armere estate was purchased by an American named Patrick Russo. He had the manor house and the servant's quarters re-built according to the original specifications. However, work was halted by the outbreak of WWII. After the war, construction was never completed, though the estate remained the property of the Russo family.
Today, the Loch, and the land surrounding it looks much the same as it did a century ago. The only visible clue to its age is the manor house and the complimentary buildings. While the servant's quarters were fully restored, the house proper has fallen into a serious state of disrepair.
Because of the adamant denial of the Russo family, we have never been allowed to inspect the estate in depth. However, in 1943, a carpenter who had been in the employ of the Russo family, told one of our investigators that while the original house had been burnt to cinders, both the foundation and a maze-like series of chambers below it were in perfect condition. The man had left the work site because of "unusual goings on" that plagued the Loch while he was there. Two weeks later he turned up dead on a pier in Glasgow.
We believe that Duke Von Guellum was in possession of one or more Amaranthite icons or artifacts, possibly even some of Valkan's books. It may be that he stored them beneath the house in the catacombs that exist there. If this is so, then the Russo family would now be possession of whatever items that Von Guellum had amassed. This may explain their reluctance in allowing us to inspect the estate.
Download the Stage
Email the Author
The Window RPG
Methods in the Madness
The Legolas RPG Index
The Stage is Copyright © 1998 by Phill Challis. All rights reserved.